Friday, September 19, 2008

6 Weeks Post Op

Well, the long awaited news is finally here... My Endo called this week to inform me that my IGF, Insulin Growth Factor, was 186, it was 1,111 prior to my surgery. The normal range is 70-306. Drum roll please... MY SURGERY WAS SUCCESSFUL!!!

The only oddity in my results was that my testosterone levels were low-normal but still within an acceptable range. They will continue to monitor. Okay, TMI but great news nevertheless!

So, how am I doing? Well, much better thank you...

I seemed to turn a corner earlier this week with respect to my headache. It was really weird, the pain had been constant and I had forgotten to take my pain meds to work with me a couple times and I paid for it. It was difficult to focus but I endured the pain, the first time. The second time I wanted to beat my head against the wall for my sheer stupidity. The pain was constant and sharp, how could I forget? Well, I did. Twice. The second time I went home during lunch and I was okay after that.

I want to point out that my pain and discomfort is all my doing. The pain meds are really effective at controlling the pain. A single pill will have me nice and loopy within 20 mins (in a good way). I just have to remember to take them. (Oh, and the stool softener, we don't want to forget that!)

Then about 3 days ago, it changed. I woke up to find that my headache was limited to only a quarter of my head. The rear part of my head felt fine, the front-left part also felt fine. The front-right, on the other hand, sharp and painful. Percocet here I come...

The next day, it was a like a light switch, nothing. No pain, nothing. Wow, I wondered how long it would last. I made sure to take my meds with me but I was fine all day. The next day, same thing. Today is the 3rd day and I'm going strong. I'm almost tempted to go pop one of the kids with a tackling pad just to see if it comes back... Upon second thought, I'm quite happy to give it more time...

The last item I need to mention is those mysterious twitches. They stayed with me for about a week but I haven't noticed them lately. They weren't anything more than subtly interesting. It would catch my attention when it occurred but then it would go away just as quickly as it started. Strange to be sure but nothing that felt very alarming.

My next update should occur on or near Oct 12, 2008. That will mark 2 months post surgery... I can't believe how quickly it is going.

5 comments:

polarchip said...

Such great news! Congratulations!

Starbucks Addict said...

Congrats on surgery and your recovery!

Mick Simon said...

Terrific news! Glad it worked for you, too!

Alecia E. said...

Wow, what a huge difference in numbers. That is fantastic - so happy for you about the good news.

ainaa ismail said...

get well soon=p

i linkur blog,so that we as the medical students can understand patients like more=)

thanks,
aina