Sunday, August 24, 2008

Milestone: I drove today

It struck me odd that I felt compelled to write about this milestone. It had little to do with my health but more to do with what I enjoy. I recall that stunned feeling when the hospital discharge instructions said "no driving". Say what??? Okay, whatever... (They obviously were not aware of my acquiring red just a few days before my surgery.)
But there she sat, waiting...
I checked on her repeatedly when I would come and go. As my friends came to visit, I would point to her. When I went for a walk with my son, I looked again and again but it wasn't time.
But today, it was time. I had been off my pain medication for several days now and my mobility was no longer an issue. It was time.
Despite sitting for 2 weeks, there was no hesitation to start. I wasn't surprised just silently pleased to confirm that we were both ready. As I casually drove down the street, Pon De Replay was playing lightly in my speakers. "Come Mr DJ, please Mr DJ, won't you turn the music up..."
Yes, indeed. And up it went. And for a moment, it was a brief moment I reached heaven. So much so that I pulled over to close my eyes and enjoy every little bit of it. And my son, bless his little heart, just laughed and said, "dad, you're weird."
With a huge smile on my face, I agreed, and we were off to finish our simple errands.

2 comments:

Starbucks Addict said...

Good for you. I'm glad to hear you're getting back to normal. It's a slow process. It's funny how reading the blogs of other acromegalics is like hearing an echo in the respect of how similar our experiences are. When you mentioned the headaches I wondered if you might've had a CSF leak. Good luck. I'm always here to compare notes or just to vent. The other acromegaly bloggers have been a great support system. It's nice to know I'm not alone (although I wouldn't wish acro on anybody). Especially on those days I just feel like a freak :-)

Omar said...

Re: CSF leak, I'm really not sure. I was told that it was a clear liquid and would have a salty taste to it. There was only one day that I thought I may have had that. One of my doctors previous patients does have continuous nasal drainage of csf and that's why he used a lumbar drain on me to lower the pressure and help the seal. That part seemed to work but it had the side-effect of causing my neck pain. My doctors theory is that the lower pressure allowed blood to enter my epidural space which aggrevated my nerve endings.

I must say after putting together my picture timeline, I do recall feeling like a freak when I realized my face had changed dramatically. Wow, that was weird.

Best of luck to you and I hope you're doing well after your surgery.